PROBLEM: Why won’t this house sell?
If you are in the market for a new house and this is the first room you saw…what’s your first impression?
• “What a small dining room and so….depressing;
• “I don’t think our furniture will fit;
• “If this house makes it to our top three choices, we’ll low-ball them on the price;
• ” Next.”
Since 97% of buyers shop the Internet before doing a drive by or contacting a Real Estate professional, this house may be in the right neighborhood and priced right. But reality is that this house lagged on the market and felt heavy and crowded. It was also a product of divorce, so it really did feel sad when you walked in.
SOLUTION: Lighten, brighten and open up the space.
So here’s what to do:
• Remove the china and pack it away for safe keeping.
• Remove the heavy, bulky, dark hutch and replace it with a smaller, more open piece of furniture; add a lamp for better lighting.
• Use a more formal furniture in the dining room (we swapped the owner’s kitchen and dining room sets in this house), and set it on an angle to lead buyer into the butler’s pantry a wonderful selling feature.
• Turn on the chandelier.
Voila, a generous-sized dining room perfect for any holiday or family celebration. Feeling better now?